Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lamarca


Everyone has a neighborhood gem.  Mine is Lamarca Cheese Shop just kiddie-corner to my apartment.  It's only open from 10-8, M-F - but don't let that deter you from venturing inside.

There are two wonderful facets to Lamarca.  The first I experienced is their restaurant.  Sitting in the open window doors with a glass of house wine and a book, I wasn't expecting more than a delightful atmosphere and a convenient locale to unwind from a long day.  But then a few wonderful things happened.  First, my waitress couldn't have been lovelier.  She was patient with me in explaining the menu (two columns of pastas - the left with sauces and veggies, the right with additional proteins), how making my own is highly encouraged (rather than reprimanded as so often happens at most eateries), and brimming with respect in describing how everything is made from scratch.  This is one of those old-fashioned pasta houses where they actually make their own fresh pastas and sauces - even their breads - and it almost feels as though you're dining in someone's intimate Italian home on the countryside.  It is nothing short of wonderful.

So I make my decision, penne in pesto cream sauce with chicken and mushrooms (hey, I might as well go all out if I'm ordering pasta to begin with, no?), and dive back into my Murakami.  And then a nice little surprise is placed in front of me.  Two nice little surprises, in fact.  A big fat luscious roll, perfectly crunchy and crusty on the outside, thick and heavy and warm and buttery on the inside.  I literally have dreams about these rolls.  (Seriously, ask my friends, they all know about my die hard devotion to these rolls).  The second, what appears to be an ordinary house salad.  Nope.  Not even the slightest bit ordinary.  You can tell the greens, the cherry tomatoes, and the cucumbers are fresh from a local market.  And then you taste the dressing - a vinaigrette made with shallots, balsamic, olive oil, and god knows what else - I could take a bath in that dressing.  I am sitting pretty at this point and I haven't even had my main course.

Yep, someone actual took a photo.  They are THAT good.

Those are my beloved sweet cherry tomatoes and scrumptious shallot dressing.  There are not one, but THREE photos of this salad on Yelp.  Out of ten total photos, I'll say this salad is a winnar by everyone's standard.

And my pasta is exactly what you'd expect.  Perfectly aldente, fresh mushrooms, moist chicken, and a creamy pesto sauce that doesn't even have the slightest hint of breakage.

My meal was shear heaven.

It was weeks before I made it back to Lamarca to venture into their pasta shop.  It closes at 6pm and I rarely make it home in time to enjoy it.  But one day, I got the afternoon off and took advantage of the opportunity.  I found out that not only could I purchase my favorite rolls (in bulk mind you - this is trouble) and delicious shalloty-Italian dressing to enjoy at home, but they also make their own buffalo mozzarella among other cheeses and have a variety of pre-made salads and main courses (I highly recommend the chicken).  Also, you can have them make you the exact same pastas from the restaurant next door, and I'll let you in on a little secret... they're half the price! 

Dearest Lamarca,

I love you.  You have provided me with a wonderful world of comfort in scary, new place.  Thank you for your delicious delicacies.  Now, do you mind paying for my yoga classes?  I'm pretty sure you're the culprit to my expanding waistline.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment