Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Butter

Oh restaurant week.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm restaurant week.  You were fabulous when I had you in my dear District of Columbia.  You are simply unparalleled in the greatest city in the country.

Recognize this woman from the Food Network?


That's Alex Guarnaschelli - famed judge on "Chopped" and acclaimed owner and head chef at "Butter."

The restaurant can be difficult to find with a hidden doorway along a wide open street (a rarity in this city), but the decor with soft lighting and dark woods had an elegant homey feel with a edge.  I arrived early and enjoyed a glass of wine at the bar - sitting right next to Marg Helgenberger.  You might recognize her as the leading lady on the original CSI.


For the record, she looked exactly the same in real life, if not more beautiful.  It's so refreshing to see a woman these days unafraid to age gracefully.  Anyway, back to "Butter"...

For $35 (plus wine), I enjoyed a complete three course meal.  Mussels in a white wine and truffle oil broth to start, grilled halibut with a zucchini gratin for dinner, and a layered "Dobosch" cake with chocolate butter cream and salted caramel for dessert.  I have no idea what "Dobosch" means.  It doesn't matter; it was divine.  My favorite part of the meal?  Sopping up the roasted garlic broth with grilled Italian bread from my mussels.

Ms. Guarnaschelli, thank you for a delicious meal.  When I start making some real money in this city, I'll be sure to visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment